Instagram: @declarationsofafangirl

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Review: Freak of Nature by Julia Crane


Freak of Nature by Julia Crane
Book #1 in the IFICS Series



Synopsis

Donate Body to Science. Check.
When seventeen-year-old Kaitlyn checked the box, she never suspected she’d have her life–and her body–stolen from her. She awakens one day in a secret laboratory to discover that her body is now half-robot and is forced to hide her own secret: that she still has human emotions and a human mind. If the scientists who made her find out, they’ll erase what remains of who she was.

Kaitlyn finds an unlikely ally in Lucas, a handsome, brilliant scientist who can’t get over the guilt he feels knowing she was once a vibrant, beautiful young woman. He never expected a science project to affect him the way she does. As he tries to help her rediscover her past, he finds himself falling for the brave girl struggling to find her place and acceptance between the human and computer worlds.



*3 Stars*


Freak of Nature was a solid read for me. It was an easy and quick read. I chose this book for my Alphabetathon TBR because of the title. This month's focus was on the letter F so of course Freak of Nature fit the bill. 

 I found the cyborg still retains her feelings concept to be quite interesting. Poor Kaitlyn has to keep a straight face 24/7 because she's afraid that if the doctors find out she has her memories, they will take them away from her. They routinely perform upgrades on her (in the form of a microchip implanted at the top of her spine) and with each one she feels her humanity slipping away more and more.


My heart really went out to her. It was really cute how she didn't understand slang or catch phrases. Every time she got confused it made me think of Castiel from Supernatural. 


There were a couple of things that were predictable. There was a love interest, of course. And it was quite obvious from the very beginning who it was. And of course that stirs up all kinds of drama. 


I will say that the ending was kind of abrupt and just seemed too easy. You're going along the climax of the story believe one thing is going to happen and then it doesn't. I kind of felt let down. 


Once I finished the book, I checked to see how many more books were in the series, and I see what path the story is going to take and it peaked my interest. I will definitely be picking up book 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment