Instagram: @declarationsofafangirl

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Review: Lexicon by Max Barry





Stick and stones break bones. Words kill.


They recruited Emily Ruff from the streets. They said it was because she's good with words.


They'll live to regret it.


They said Wil Parke survived something he shouldn't have. But he doesn't remember.


Now they're after him and he doesn't know why.


There's a word, they say. A word that kills.


And they want it back . . . 




3 Stars

My feelings about this book are all over the place. It starts off with a bang and I couldn't put it down for a couple of chapters. 

Who were these men? Why did they put a needle in Wil's eye? Who the hell is chasing Wil & these strange men? Who is Wil supposed to trust? 



You see what I mean? Confusing but just enough intrigue to keep me reading for a while. By page 53 I was exhausted. I put Lexicon down & read a different book (Sweet by Emmy Laybourne), not knowing if I would DNF it or not. 




By the time I finished Sweet, I found myself wondering about Lexicon and poets and "barewords," so I decided to pick it up again. At first I was glad I gave it another chance, but then I got to the last 5 chapters or so. By then, I was so confused & mentally exhausted again. The climax of the story just kept going and going and going and going...then BOOM. 

The end.

Like, huh? What?!



There were plot twists all over the place too. Just when I thought I understood what was happening & who was who...  BAM! Plot twist. One or two plot twists is awesome, but Lexicon had so many that it made me dizzy. 




I'm honestly not sure if I would recommend  Lexicon to anyone but I'm positive I will never reread it. 



Twitter: @declarefangirl
Instagram: @declarationsofafangirl











No comments:

Post a Comment