Instagram: @declarationsofafangirl

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Tour: The Witch of Willow Hall by Hester Fox



The Witch of Willow Hall by Hester Fox
Genre: Adult Historical Fantasy Fiction (YA Friendly)  
Release Date: October 2, 2018  
Graydon House Books (Harlequin) 

Two  centuries  after  the  Salem  witch  trials,  there’s  still  one  witch  left  in  Massachusetts.  But  she  doesn’t  even  know  it.

Take  this  as  a  warning:  if  you  are  not  able  or  willing  to  control  yourself,  it  will  not  only  be  you  who  suffers  the  consequences,  but  those  around  you,  as  well.

New  Oldbury,  1821
In  the  wake  of  a  scandal,  the  Montrose  family  and  their  three  daughters—Catherine,  Lydia  and  Emeline—flee  Boston  for  their  new  country  home,  Willow  Hall.

The  estate  seems  sleepy  and  idyllic.  But  a  subtle  menace  creeps  into  the  atmosphere,  remnants  ofa  dark  history  that  call  to  Lydia,  and  to  the  youngest,  Emeline.

All  three  daughters  will  be  irrevocably  changed  by  what  follows,  but  none  more  than  Lydia,  who must  draw  on  a  power  she  never  knew  she  possessed  if  she  wants  to  protect  those  she  loves.  For  Willow  Hall’s  secrets  will  rise,  in  the  end...



Gingerly,  I  get  up,  my  legs  full  of  pins  and  needles  from  sitting  on  the  floor  so  long.  Just  like  the  night  of  the  woman  in  the  garden,  I  can’t  stay  in  the  library  knowing  that  someone  might  be  there.  I  must  go  and  look  for  myself.  Even  with  the  sun  coming  through  the  windows,  illuminating  the  wood  floors  and  catching  the  light  of  the  crystal  lamps,  I  feel  as  if  I’m  making  my  way  through  a  dark,  murky  passage.  My  feet  are  heavy,  as  if they  know  something  that  my  mind  does  not.  The  door  to  the  dining  room  is  closed.  It  beckons  me,  yet  repels  me,  exuding  a  sense  of  silent  occupation.  My  ears  buzz.  A  singsong  chorus  of  whispers  grows  as  I  approach.

Are  you  ready?
I  am  here.
You  attract  them.
Are  you  ready?  
Prepare  for  what  lies  ahead.
Prepare.
Prepare.

They  mount  and  mount  into  a  dizzying  jumble  of  sound  and  I  run  the  rest  of  the  way  to  the  door,  my  heart  in  my  chest,  my  eyes  squeezed  shut.  Grasping  the  knob,  I  fling  open  the  door.  The  voices  die  away.  

I  knew  it  would  be  there.  But  it  doesn’t  stop  me  from  gasping  as  every  part  of  me  curls  back  in  on  itself  in  horror.  My  blood  turns  to  ice.  

Seated  at  the  table  is  a  woman,  or  what  used  to  be  a  woman.  She  sits  as  if  she  has  every  right  to  be  there,  as  if  she  has  always  been  there.  A  veil  covers  her  face,  but  it  is  gauzy  and  threadbare,  and  I  can  see  the  contours  of  the  features  beneath.  Her  dress  is  old,  black  as  night  yet  opalescent  as  the  moon  through  a  cobweb.  Paralyzed  with  fear,  I  watch  as  it  moves  about  her  of  its  own  accord,  a  soft  undulation  as  if  she  were  underwater.  And  though  I  can  see  her  as  clear  as  day,  the  veiled  woman  in  our  dining  room,  there’s  a  translucence  to  her,  and  the  panoramic  wallpaper  is  just  visible  behind  her.  She  is  like  nothing  and  no  one  I  have  ever  seen  before,  and  yet  she  is  familiar,  as  if  I  have  always  known  her.  

"Come,  child." Her  voice  comes  from  everywhere  and  nowhere,  and  when  her  words  are  finished,  I  have  the  unnerving  feeling  that  they  weren’t  spoken  aloud  at  all,  but  came  from  within  my  head.  

She  beckons  me  with  a  knobby  finger,  more  bone  than  flesh.  I  can’t  drag  my  gaze  away  from  her  face,  the  sunken  holes  where  there  ought  to  be  eyes,  the  lipless  mouth,  all  teeth  and  blackness.  The  cold  pie  that  I  just  enjoyed  churns  in  my  stomach  and  threatens  to  come  up.  She  beckons  me  again,  and  I  imagine  those  long,  terrible  fingers  closing  around  my  neck and  choking  the  life  out  of  me.  I  imagine  them  raking  me  across  the  face  until  ribbons  of  skin  flutter  from  my  skull.  I  stand  my  ground,  unwilling  to  deliver  myself  up  to  her.  She  is  the  stuff  of  my  novels,  a  grotesque  horror  that  titillates  on  the  page,  but  sends  terror  into  my  heart  when  in  the  same  room  as  me.  

She  gives  something  like  a  grunt,  and  as  if  able  to  read  my  thoughts,  says, "One  hundred  and  thirty  years  of  death  is  not  gentle  on  a  body.  Come,  do  not  gawk." I  dare  not  disobey  her,  so  I  force  my  leaden  feet  to  move  a  few  steps  closer.  

The  smell  of  decay  and  death  fills  the  room,  sickly  sweet  and  putrid  at  the  same  time.  My  stomach  clenches  at  the  memories  the  odor  brings  back  of  Emeline  in  her  coffin.  My  throat  is  tight,  my  mouth  cotton,  but  somehow  I’m  able  to  gasp  out,  ͞"W-who  are  you?"

She  makes  a  noise,  something  between  a  snort  and  a  laugh,  a  scraping,  rattling  sound,  though  it’s  devoid  of  humor.  ͞"Do  you  not  know  your  own  forebear?"

The  blackness  of  her  dress  curls  around  her  like  a  snake,  but  she  sits  as  motionless  as  if  she  were  carved  of  stone.  Her  stillness  is  suffocating,  it  dares  the  house  to  be  silent,  and  punishes  the  sunlight  for  filtering  in  through  the  window.  

Warily,  I  come  to  a  halt  at  the  edge  of  the  dining  room  table.  I  don’t  know  what  she’s  talking  about.  ͞"Forebear?"

"Have  you  not  looked  upon  me  since  you  were  a  babe?  Do  you  not  recognize  in  me  what  flows  through  you?"

"I..." But  then  it  comes  to  me.  The  lace  collar,  though  tattered  and  black  as  her  dress,  is  unmistakable  around  her  neck.  ͞"You’re  the  woman  in  the  painting.  Mother’s  ancestor."

The  inclination  of  her  head  is  small,  barely  perceptible.


Advance  Praise:
"Hester  Fox's  THE  WITCH  OF  WILLOW  HALL  offers  a  fascinating  location,  a  great  plot  with  history  and  twists,  and  characters  that  live  and  breathe.  I  love  the  novel,  and  will  be  looking  forward  to  all  new  works  by  this  talented  author!"  --Heather  Graham,  New  York  Times  bestselling  author

"Beautifully  written,  skillfully  plotted,  and  filled  with  quiet  terror,  readers  will  devour  this  absorbing,  Gothic  tale  of  romance  and  suspense.  Perfect  for  fans  of  Simone  St  James  and  Kate  Morton."  --  Anna  Lee  Huber,  the  national  bestselling  author  of  the  historical  Lady  Darby  Mysteries

"Beautifully  written,  with  an  intriguing  plot  full  of  suspense  and  mystery,  The  Witch  of  Willow  Hall  will  cast  a  spell  over  every  reader."  --  Lisa  Hall,  author  of  Tell  Me  No  Lies  and  Between  You  and  Me

"I  was  entranced  by  this  intriguing  and  spellbinding  novel  with  its  messages  of  love  and  loyalty  and  being  true  to  who  you  really  are.  I  hope  Hester  Fox  goes  onto  write  many  more  such  novels--I  for  one  will  be  buying  them."  --  Kathleen  McGurl,  author  of  The  Girl  from  Ballymor  

"With  its  sense  of  creeping  menace  and  chilling  undertones,  this  compelling  story  had  me gripped  from  the  first  page.  The  vividly  drawn  characters  cast  their  spell  so  convincingly,  I  couldn't  stop  reading  until  I  discovered  what  happened  to  them.  A  wonderful  debut  novel.”--Linda  Finlay,  author  of  The  Flower  Seller



Hester  comes  to  writing  from  a  background  in  museum  work  and  historical  archaeology.  She  loves  the  Gothic,  the  lurid,  the  dark...so  long  as  the  ending  is  a  happy  one.  She  has  never  seen  a  ghost,  though  she  remains  hopeful.  Hester  lives  outside  of  Boston  with  her  husband.  THE  WITCH  OF  WILLOW  HALL  is  her  first  novel.





No comments:

Post a Comment